Sunday, May 8, 2011

First.

Welcome to The Burger Bots, a wargaming blog focused on the exploits of myself - Jawn - and my gaming group - basically a bunch of dudes who do a bunch of things?

I'll mostly be concentrating on Warhammer 40k, as this is our current focus amongst my group. However, bits and pieces of Warmachine, Hordes, and Warhammer Fantasy will also make their way into the greatest blog on earth (this one).

To sort of kick things off, I'll explain how I fell into this deep pit of nerdatry. Like most wayward youth, I was introduced to trading card games. This first one I ever saw played was Wildstorms when I was a wee tot. After that, I got into Magic: The Gathering quite heavily. Following Magic, of course, was Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, like most kids my age at the time. The World of Warcraft card game had also taken up my time considerably as well. I dabbled in Dungeons and Dragons but never really go into it, having little to no people to play with

Around 2001, after getting in and out of Pokemon, I was gifted the Warhammer 40k 3rd edition starter set for Christmas. I assembled a small force of Blood Angels who consistently faced my younger brother, Nick - also known as The Boy - until his Talos tabled my army some how. We got into Fantasy slightly afterwards, myself playing Warriors of Chaos - later Orcs and Goblins - and The Boy choosing the nancy-boy High Elves. I drifted in and out of the hobby after, having discovered girls and mostly played carg games and video games.

Nearing the end of high school, I got back into 40k - during the end of 4th edition - after finding out my best friend was collecting a Necron army. Funny thing is, I knew the guy for five years at this point and we never discussed 40k until the end of high school. Hah.

I sold of my remaining Blood Angels force and started a Chaos Space Marines army in the flavour of Khorne (see what I did there?). The Boy decided to get back into 40k with us and picked up a Tau army. Again, I drifted in and out of the hobby for a few years until 2009. The Boy, my BFF, and I got back into 40k hard again and I decided to start a new army. The choice came down to:

1. Space Wolves
2. Daemonhunters
3. Eldar
4. Orks
5. Tyranid
6. Some sort of Space Marine Chapter

I did the most logical thing and rolled a D6. Such is my penchant for rolling ones, I started a Space Wolves army. Since then, I've amassed a 7000 point army, a 2000 point Eldar army, handfuls of orks, essentially assimilated my friends Necron army into my collection, and I've started slowly collecting a Grey Knights army since the new release. Through out the two years since getting back into 40k, I've also started playing Warmachine and Hordes - as well as desparately trying to get my ladyfriend to play Warmahordes. I picked up a Cygnar starter set for her, and I've put together a small Menoth army, as well as a slowly expanding Retribution army.

Within the past two months, The Boy and I have gotten together with a few other guys to nerd out with - namely Illhan of the USS Illhanicus (resident IG and now BT player) Taylor (Bug Catcher, lol) and Kevin (Filthy Necrons). Included of course are myself, Jawn (every other army), and The Boy (Tau). Now every weekend we try to get together for wine and cheese tastings, sock collection comparisons, stamp trading, lubed up homoeroticism, and a little bit of 40k. I plan to one day force all of them to play Warmachine or Hordes, as its just the bee's knees.

That's the long and short of my dissension into the realm of nerditude. Hope you enjoy the blog and nudes will be available. Tee hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment